Regular eye examinations are important, which is why here at Cloughs Opticians in Bolton, we recommend that if you’re between the ages of 16 and 70 you have an eye test every 2 years. If you’re under 16 or over 70 then this should increase to once a year (unless otherwise advised by your optometrist or doctor).
DID YOU KNOW?
More than 30 million people in the UK are entitled to a FREE eye examination paid for by the NHS. You are automatically entitled to this free sight test if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Are aged 60 or over
- Are aged under 16, or under 19 and in full time education
- Are diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
- Are 40 years of age or over with a close relative with glaucoma
- Are registered blind or partially sighted
- Are in need of complex lenses (you may also receive an optical voucher).
- You are also entitled to FREE NHS eye tests if you (or your partner) receive the following benefits or credits:
- Income Support or Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit (and are named on a NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate)
- You are named on a valid HC2 or HC3 certificate
- Pension Credit guarantee credit.
HELP WITH PAYING FOR YOUR GLASSES
In addition to a free eye examination you may also be entitled to assistance with the cost of glasses or contact lenses if you are:
- Under 16 or under 19 and still in full time education
- Named on a valid HC2 or HC3 certificate
- In need of complex lenses
- You or your partner claim Income Support, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Working Family’s Tax Credit/Disabled Person’s Tax Credit (and are named on a NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate).
If you have any questions relating to NHS eligibility, please just get in touch.